Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ephesus

Last time I visited Ephesus was 20 years ago . It was a rather cold February day, and I had a wonderful experience there. I heard the sound of silence for the first time in my life. I was sitting on an old stone and there was not a single soul around and there was absolutely no noise...No bugs singing, no birds flying, no wind blowing, no distant traffic noise, absolutely nothing. It was kind of scary at the first moments, but such peace afterwards.. Since that day I did not hear the sound of silence again..



Well, last week when we were there, it was the total opposite of my experince of 20 years ago. It was very hot, very crowded and so much noise..I think all these considered normal as Ephesus is one of the most visited archaeological sites in Turkey.

I will not give you many historical details about the town but just keep in mind that it was the capital city of Asia Minor during the Roman period and it was one of the richest city of its time.. One of the seven wonders of the world Artemis Temple was a product of this city and the very first bank in the world established in this city.. So please walk with me in the lovely streets of this ancient city.







Library of Celsus who once was the house of 12.000 books.Hadrian Temple..Goddess Kybele is still watching you..Goddess Nike.. Dont mix her with your sport shoes..And finally two very tired traveller who was posing in the theatre just before rushing to the A/C of their car..

12 comments:

  1. Those are some incredible photogaphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pics... These are beautiful examples of Ancient Greek art and architechture... I love the beautiful sculptures..
    My Travelogue

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in awe that the ancient architecture and history still stand..i would love to see this one day. i love the pic of you and your sweetie. thanks for sharing your travels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There. I'm visiting via Jennifer's blog. I love your photos you have here. Thank you so much for sharing these. I have recently been trying to find my old travel photos and was only just thinking about Ephesus yesterday. Uncanny! I loved Turkey when I was there and do hope to go back some day. Thanks for the memories!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a most marvelous trip.Thank you so much for sharing those photos.They are fantastic.XXOO Marie Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photos of amazing architecture! I'm amazed at how after thousands of years, these buildings are still standing! Thank you for sharing your travels with us as we can live vicariously thru you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks an incredible place with so much history. I know what you mean about hearing silence. Has only happened to me once and that was in the middle of Australia at night. Was such a special experience.

    Thanks for sharing your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The world is certainly shrinking - it's a global village and people want to see the world . So, when will be my turn to visit Ephesus??

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents visited Ephesus many years ago. They were very impressed and speak of their visit frequently. They didn't mention the silence, though. Perhaps that was a rare moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We visited Ephesus 2 years ago and enjoyed every moment of the day while strolling through this magnificent place of history. Truly, it left us speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such marvelous antiquities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So amazing. I love the picture of the two of you. It is always fun to put faces to the words!
    xxx kim

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin