Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Temple of Apollo at Didyma

The only question came to my mind when I was standing in front of the Temple of Apollo was if I was going to lead a happy and fulfilled life..

Although the famous oracle of the temple gone long ago, I still heard her answer in the silence of my heart. '' - You can, if you choose to...''


I'd better believe her as it was she who told Alexander the Great that he will beat the Persians right at this place.





In 313 BC, the Milesians began to build this temple on the site of the earlier shrine, which they intended to be the largest in the Greek world. Construction continued during the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC and the Oracle of Apollo at Didyma rivaled that of Delphi. However it was never entirely completed.



In those days , pilgrims walked 20 km along the Sacred Way from Miletus to the temple to worship Apollo and also to find answers about their future. Well, in modern times we did not walk that distance but drive. I guess it still counts...


While we were leaving Oracle also whispered to my heart that I will always be happy with this man :))

10 comments:

  1. i love the answers of the Oracle !
    amazing beautiful site which i hope to visit one day...i also have a few questions to ask to the Oracle.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers indeed! And what an amazing site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness is definitely of your own making. Stunning place. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The temple is grand, but man has made nothing greater than happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May your wishes come true . happiness is ours to keep if we try to be contented and have a peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful blog you have! Thanks for your comment over at my little place!
    Blessings, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful post.What amazing places I get to visit though your eyes.And may you always get to stay with the man you love.I wish that for you.XXOO Marie Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are stunning. I hope I get to see those sights someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifully captured shots....lovely architectural beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful antiquities, handsome man. The oracle's answer is not hard to believe. May it be so.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin